jadis composee par l'abstracteur de quinte essence
Beuveurs tresillustres, & vous Verolés tresprecieux (car
à vous, non à autres sont dédiés mes escriptz)
this festival turned out pretty well for me. i took a few days off
work and i got to see so many things, and i enjoyed almost all of them.
- thursday, april 19
- heart of the world (2000) guy maddin
short film commissioned for toronto international film festival.
you can watch
- center of the world (2001) wayne wang
- with director, wayne wang and actors, peter sarsgaard (boys
don't cry) and carla gugino (falcon crest, son in law)
- friday, april 20
- adieu philippine (1963) jacques rozier
- metropolis (1926) fritz lang
a majorly restored print, still missing a lot of the material, but now with
new intertitles to explain missing scenes. accompanied by dennis james with
new score based on original, with intertitle translation thanks to the
festival's artistic director, peter scarlet.
- baise-moi (2000) virginie despentes, coralie trinh thi
- saturday, april 21
- maral (2000) mehdi sabaghzadeh
- our lady of the assassins (2000) barbet schroeder
- with the director, barbet schroeder
- the princess and the warrior (2000) tom tykwer
- with lead actors franka potente and benno fürmann
- sunday, april 22
- treasures from a chest (1896-190?)
with lobster film's serge bromberg presenting and accompanying on the piano
50 silent, single reel films (under 1 minute each) from pathé, gaumont,
and georges méliès
- simon of the desert (1965) luis buñuel
presented by michael lehmann (heathers)
- the magick lantern cycle (1947-present) kenneth anger
presented by kenneth anger
with new short on the art of aleister crowley, narrated by kenneth anger
- la nuit américaine [day for night] (1973) françois truffaut
- presented by lotfi mansouri of the sf opera
- monday, april 23
- dora-heita (2000) kon ichikawa
a new film based on a screenplay written in the late sixties by ichikawa
and akira kurosawa
- with closed eyes (1999) mansour madavi
filmed in chile by a director from azerbaijan
- the storm (2000) khaled youssef
egyptian film about two brothers fighting on opposing sides in the gulf war
- tuesday, april 24
- smell of camphor, fragrance of jasmine (2000) bahman farmanara
with the director and lead actor, bahman farmanara
- devils on the doorstep (2000) wen jiang
- wednesday, april 25
- the big animal (2000) jurzy stuhr
- one of the hollywood ten (2000) karl francis
- save me (2000) christian vincent
- word and utopia (2000) manoel de oliveira
story of the life of padre antónio vieira
- the town is quiet (2000) robert guédiguian
this i did like a lot. liked the depictions of people just hanging on
with what they can make until the the next bad break. contrast that with
the bourgeoisie and supporters of the right-wing national front.
- thursday, april 26
- ...took the day off...
- friday, april 27
- the land of wandering souls (1999) rithy panh
- the spirit of mopti (1999) mousse ouane
- ali farka touré: springing from the roots (2000) yves billon, henri
with one of the directors, but i don't remember which one.
not so interested into this one about a guitar player. he was funny,
and i liked his farm. liked the footage of different guitar bands
across mali, and the combination with the spirit of mopti was pretty
good. this one had more on the wealthy people of mali.
- saturday, april 28
- clouds of may (2000) nuri bilge ceylan
- juan, i forgot, i don't remember (1999) juan carlos rulfo
with the director, juan carlos rulfo
what i saw of this was really interesting. a lot of really bright,
strong visual images, with random stories told by people who don't
really remember the director's father. i came in halfway through,
right after the clouds of may.
- the babilée mystery (2000) patrick bensard
with the director, patrick bensard and the subject, jean babilée
jean babilée is an amazing dancer. now at seventy-eight, he's
still teaching, but as a young man in cocteau's le jeune homme et la mort,
he's a real work. his stories are pretty good too.
- the gleaners and i (2000) agnès varda
with matthieu demy, son of director agnès varda
- the harem of mme. osmane (2000) nadir moknèche
with director, nadir moknèche
this movie was a little scattered. good acting, and i did enjoy watching
it, but the script and editing? i don't know.
- sunday, april 29
- the festival (2000) rituparno ghosh
family get together with plenty of arguing and people having a good time.
liked the setting and actors. wasn't real excited about the story, but
still enjoyed myself.
- don quixote (1972) rudolf nureyev, robert helpmann
with a friend of nureyev from the paris opera
this was funny to see. somehow i expected the dancers would be more in
sync. spoiled by janet jackson i guess. the don quixote guy had great
makeup and outfits. too bad he didn't dance. nureyev was something else,
as you would expect.
- under the sand (2000) françois ozon
with lead actress charlotte rampling
for some reason, the volume was so loud, i had to stick something in my
ears. everyone says that charlotte rampling is the best.
- without a trace (2000) maria novaro
with director maria novaro
- monday, april 30
- the ceiling (2000) matthieu demy
with director matthieu demy
- du côté d'orouët (1972) jacques rozier
with actor bernard menez
- tuesday, may 1
- platform (2000) zhang ke jia
the story before this one ran is that it had been cut down from 180
minutes seen at venice and berlin, to 150 min at toronto and now san
francisco. a critic had not had good things to say about the edits,
but the director defended them.
- virgin stripped bare by her bachelors (2000) hong sang-soo
- werckmeister harmonies (2000) béla tarr
with director béla tarr, actor lars rudolph, and enthusiast arturo ripstein
- wednesday, may 2
- peppermint candy (2000) lee chang-dong
with director lee chang-dong
- such is life (2000) arturo ripstein
with director arturo ripstein, and writer paz alicia garciadiego
- thursday, may 3
- ...didn't go. thought i'd see something in the t.b.a. slots, but...
waiting to see in general release? (or maybe not?)
- lives (2000) alain cavalier
- landscape (2000) martin sulik
- san francsico film society