jadis composee par l'abstracteur de quinte essence
Beuveurs tresillustres, & vous Verolés tresprecieux (car
à vous, non à autres sont dédiés mes escriptz)
seen (not so) recently
- at the 2003 san francisco film festival
- at the 2002 san francisco film festival
- jung (war) in the land of the mujaheddin (2001) fabrizio lazzaretti, alberto vendemmiati
documentary about the civil war in northern afghanistan in 1999-2000 and an italian
surgeon who is there to set up a hospital to treat mine victims. spends time with
people in villages that suffered attacks from the taliban, with emphasis on the
situation for women. covers a p.o.w. camp of captured taliban soldiers who talk
about the religious convictions that led them to fight.
- no man's land (2001) danis tanovic
- monster's ball (2001) marc forster
- la vie est tranquille [the town is quiet] (2000) robert guédiguian
- iris (2001) richard eyre
iris murdoch and her husband john bayley when they first met, and as iris looses
herself to alzheimer's.
- ni niebian jidian [what time is it there?] (2001) tsai ming-liang
lee kang-sheng's father dies. he and his mother mourn in their apartment.
they have a huge fish in a tank. he sells watches on the street and
shiang-chyi chan wants him to sell his own, a dual-time watch that she can
take on her trip to paris. her trip is show, along with lots of clocks and
- mulholland drive (2001) david lynch
- at the 2001 chicago film festival
- at the 2001 mill valley film festival
- not at the 2001 toronto film festival
- roozi khe zan shodam [the day i became a woman] (2000) marzieh meshkini
- dayerah [the circle] (2000) jafar panahi
- plaster caster (2000) jessica villines
- documentary on ms. cynthia plastercaster herself and her
craft of casting hampton wicks. interviews with cynthia, danny and margaret
doll rod, eric burden, wayne kramer, etc.
- at the 2001 san francisco film festival
- shadows (1961) john cassavetes
- memento (2000) christopher nolan
still thinking about these
- in the mood for love (2000) kar-wai wong
- bad ma ra khahad bord [the wind will carry us] (99) abbas kiarostami
- experience of an outsider in a remote villiage, waiting
on the death of a matron for an exposition of the funeral rites.
- le petit voleur (99) erick zonca
- a young man tired of low paying work seeks a life in the
criminal underground of orléans.
- totò che visse due volte [toto who lived twice] (98) cipri/maresco
- a beautifully filmed and played collection of tales about
prostitutes, messiahs, and mafiosos.
- marat [killer] (98) omirbaev
- financial pressures lead a man into the hands of organized
crime in the newly reformed kazakh economy.
- rushmore (98) wes anderson
- an extra-curricularly ambitious student and a millionaire
compete for the love of a widow, with songs by creation, the kinks, etc.
- pecker (98) john waters
- a young photographer's baltimore smacks the new york art
world around a bit, exposing the beauty of their shared human limitations.
- la vie de jesus [life of jésus] (97) bruno dumont
- a powerfully brutish rendition of camus' l'étranger
played out by non-actor youths in northern france.
- he liu [the river] (97) ming-liang tsai
- a young man gets a rash from a swim in a city river. he
and his father live in and out of taiwan's bath houses.
- mei li zai chang ge [murmur of youth] (97) cheng-sheng lin
- two girls from different ends of chinese taiwan meet and
kiss a lot.
- tabutta rovasata [somersault in a coffin] (96) dervis zaim
- portrayal of a life of poverty in istanbul. a resourceful
man poaches peacocks from the site of a former crusader's castle.
- zendegi edame darad [and life goes on] (91) abbas kiarostami
- the director travels to the site of a previous film, now
suffering from a recent earthquake, in search of his lead actors.
- idi i smotri [come and see] (85) elem klimov
- ww ii german soldiers herd a villiage of russians
into a building and slaughter them.
- cafe flesh (82) rinse dream [stephen sayadian]
- surreal cabaret porn in the aftermath of world war iii
where fallout has created sex negatives who can only watch.
- jubilee (77) derek jarman
- adam ant in post-nuclear holocaust england, where only the
new wave kids and artists have survived
- la maman et la putain [the mother and the whore] (73) jean eustache
- a young man's weaknesses are exposed as he seeks an
additional lover after losing his first.
- il conformista [the conformist] (70) bernardo bertolucci
- a man accepts orders to kill those he loves and respects.
it's all for some good reason, i'm sure.
- multiple maniacs (70) john waters
- divine's life in a murderous circus of freaks is
disturbed by her cheating husband, sparking her transformation into true movie
- vixen! (68) russ meyer
- the wife of a canadian bush pilot torments her husband,
her brother, and his american friend who is courted by cubans to defect.
- baisers volés [stolen kisses] (68) françois truffaut
- antoine doinel stumbles through a few jobs, and a one-sided
relationship with his upper-class girl friend.
- simón del desierto [simon of the desert] (65) luis buñuel
- simon stylites is tempted by the devil (sylvia pinal)
in the desert, and then a nightclub with the music of the sinners.
- alphaville (65) jean-luc godard
- lemmy caution visits alphaville from the outlands to thwart
an autocratic government's plans for war against humanity.
- mudhoney (65) russ meyer
- some young opportunists try to get something off an
old hand. i don't exactly remember, but it was funny
- bande à part [band of outsiders] (64) jean-luc godard
- two young french man plan a theft with a woman on the
inside that they know from school.
- blonde cobra (63) ken jacobs
- study of a young man's image. it's been too long.
- le mani sulla città [hands over the city] (63) francesco rosi
- a city official fights corruption in building contracts
and safety inspections.
- ivanovo detstvo [my name is ivan] (62) andrei tarkovsky
- a boy fights at the front and acts as a spy in this
idealized look at the russian front lines in ww ii.
- vivre sa vie [my life to live] (62) jean-luc godard
- anna karina plays a young parisienne whose search for
self-sufficiency leads her to prostitution and a bit of philosophy
- la dolce vita (60) frederico fellini
- marcello is a society page reporter with a longing for
better things, pursuing women and artistry
- le salaire de la peur [wages of fear] (53) henri-georges clouzot
- gritty suspense film based on big oil companies'
exploitation of labor and lives that come cheap.
- puce moment (49) kenneth anger
- glamorous hollywood with a beautiful room and a series of
- the lead shoes (49) sidney peterson
- english and american ballads the three ravens and edward
and a diving suit.
- mother's day (48) james broughton
- a portrait of a family, framed around the powerful
identity of the mother
- la regle du jeu (39) jean renoir
- a weekend of hunting at a country mansion shows off
french society before ww ii.
- la grande illusion (37) jean renoir
- french pows continually plan escapes from german prisons.
- atalante (34) jean vigo
- a new bride from a small villiage starts life on her
husband's barge, experiencing a new world of ports and salesmen
- fall of the house of usher (28) watson/webber
- short abstract film based on the idea of the poe short
- cahiers du cinema
- film comment
film and video sources
- kino international
- new yorker
international film festivals
august 29-september 8, 2001
september 6-15, 2001
- new york
september 28-october 14, 2001
october 4-18, 2001
february 6-17, 2002
- san francisco
april 18-may 2, 2002